Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Banana Bread made w/ Coconut Oil


So today was just one of those days that didn't work out with grocery shopping. I had a wonderful idea to recreate my all time favorite sandwich from a cafe back in Anchorage.

I thought about it all day at work and once 1600 rolled around and we were dismissed from our flight chief I went straight to the commissary, didn't even change out of my uniform. I pulled into the parking lot and retreat starts playing over the sound system on base. Once the national anthem was done playing I exited my car (fyi you cannot walk/drive when the national anthem is playing on base).  

I find the first ingredient right off the bat, kalamata olives.  I thought hey I’m off to a good start.  I headed over to the deli section to retrieve my goat cheese and was extremely disappointed to find that the shipment hadn’t arrived yet :( sad faced I walked away not completely defeated yet.  I figured I would gather everything else I needed and wait for Thursday to arrive and pick up the cheese. So I go to the small shelve that is suppose to have pesto sitting there waiting for me and nothing! Gone poof, again waiting on shipment. Fine! I will make my own pesto, nope... out of basil in the produce aisle. hmpf I give up.

 I finally admitted defeat and resumed grocery shopping. Not all was a waste today, my banana's decided they were going to ripe overnight (literally) and I needed to use them right away. I hate throwing out food, especially produce and veggies, their not cheap in Japan.  

By the way this Banana Bread is delicious! I used coconut oil instead of butter and it came out extremely light and moist. Diffidently made up for the unsuccessful grocery trip. 

Banana Bread
Adapted my nana's recipe
Yields: 2 mini loafs or one regular sized 9x5 loaf pan
Time: mini loafs 45 Min  Regular 55-65 Min

Ingredients
1 1/4 Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground Ginger
1/2 cup packed Brown sugar
2 ripe Banana's
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Coconut Oil (the consistency is like shortening or butter)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Almond Milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F
Grease your loaf pan(s) with cooking spray
In a medium bowl combine your flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and whisk.  In a small bowl mash your bananas and set aside
In another small bowl cream together coconut oil and brown sugar, add your egg and vanilla. Stir in your mashed banana's and mix until combined. Take the wet mixture and combined with the dry mixture. Stir until just moisten, add in your almond milk to help combined the wet and dry together. Pour batter into loaf pan(s).  I used mini loaf pans and baked for 45 minutes until tooth picked inserted came out clean. If using a 9x5 pan bake for 55-65 minutes and insert a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.



30 comments:

  1. NICE BREAD! Thanks for the reminder of base living too! I grew up an AF brat, and still remember having to stop for the NA. I have noticed more ball parks (college and Pro) start making people stop moving during such as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, yeah its funny sometimes, we all know that 1630 on the dot everyday the NA plays and you'll see some people walking outside completely unaware of the time and when they hear the NA they start running for the nearest building. We like to call those people dirt bag Airman.

      Delete
  2. I love how the bananas decided you were making banana bread. Love your nana's recipe b/c it looks so simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, lol yeah it makes it easy sometimes to bake something when your forced to use the food or throw it out.

      Delete
  3. By the way, peeled bananas freeze very well, I stick them in the freezer and bake my bread according to mood, I haven't used coconut oil yet, for some reason I thought it would be heavy... I have a really great cobbler recipe that takes a lot of butter, and would love a more lactose friendly way of putting it together, think it would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very right, sometimes I will freeze bananas and use them in my awesome yo cream machine to make banana ice cream. But im happy I made this bread I was really surprised how well coconut oil baked, I think I may be converted. You should diffidently try it in the cobbler, the oil reminds me of room temperature butter, soft but not melted. its not like a liquid oil. good luck :)

      Delete
  4. Great bread recipe! I absolutely love using coconut oil. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am going to be using coconut oil a lot for now on. I loved it.

      Delete
  5. i bet that coconut oil put a lovely spin on the banana bread, definitely want to try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I tasted a little bit of the coconut oil and it had a slight sweet taste and the coconut flavor wasn't overpowering, Baked in the bread I don't think you can taste it but the bread bakes extremely light. Plus it doesn't come out all crumbly like it would have with butter :-)

      Delete
  6. Love your idea of using coconut oil! I bet that adds another depth of flavor!

    Since I think you have a great blog, I am passing along the Versatile Blogger Award to you! Come by my blog and check out your award! http://www.lifeasibakeit.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Randilea, coconut oil is great! and thank you so much for the awesome recognition :) I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny, I just had a bread baked with coconut oil about one week ago. And it was amazingly delicious - I loved it. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen, yeah this was my first time using coconut oil and I loved it, can't wait to use it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that you made this with coconut oil! Such a healthy and delicious substitution. I am going to try that sub next time I make a quick bread. Yum!!
    On another note, I've had those frustrating days at the grocery store, but it sounds like you made the best of it! Hope you get that sandwich you've been craving soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie, thanks for the encouragement I hope to make that sandwich soon! I hope you try and like using the coconut oil its amazing for bread =)

      Delete
  11. GORGEOUS!!! I love your recipe and the photo is perfect!!! Let's have coffee and this bread - my place or yours? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds great Tess, what time zone should we meet in? lol =)

      Delete
  12. Great to meet you (via foodbuzz)! I love banana bread, and am a big fan of cooking/baking with coconut oil, but have never combined the two. Looks like a great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willow, its great to meet you as well through foodbuzz. Thanks for stopping by. Looking forward to sharing recipes with you :)

      Delete
  13. Mmm, I love coconut oil, but have never tried it for baking! Sounds perfect in banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patty, I need to hit you up for some ideas on cooking with the coconut oil.

      Delete
  14. Wow! These banana bread does look moist & tasty! Fantastic! Have never tried coconut in baking & this recipe sounds awesome! I wonder how it taste like. It's nerve racking when I can't find the things I needed for baking or cooking when doing my groceries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a bummer when you can't find something you need at the store. I hope you try coconut oil for your next fab dessert. its a pretty delicate taste, just a hint of sweetness on its own.

      Delete
  15. Coconut oil works so great in baking as butter substitute! Leaves things super moist and gives a delicate coconit flavor and aroma. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, I want to use it in my next big cookie recipe but I might have to settle for butter since the recipe is so big and coconut oil is limited at the grocery store.

      Delete
  16. I love how you used coconut oil instead of butter! I have some and have been thinking about trying it but the last time I subed with coconut oil it wasn't what I was hoping for! You gave me new hope! Have a great weekend! I am now following you =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Serena, glad to give you new hope on the coconut oil, its works great with bread from what I experimented with, haven't tried it in anything else yet but looking forward to using it more often. Glad to have met you through foodbuzz and I'm following u too! :-)

      Delete
  17. My favourite snack is Banana bread with a cup of coffee. I have to try your recipe with coconut oil!! (Tip:I am using coconut oil for cooking my pancakes. Just tiny bit in the pan, it gives them a nice flavour!! )Meriem

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow!!! it looks soo yummy!!!
    I am hosting "all coconut oil related" link-up this month.
    Feel free to stop by and participate with this post. It would be lovely to have this recipe on board!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...