Saturday, September 22, 2012

Baked Donuts w/ Pumpkin Spice glaze and Dark Chocolate


 I love bringing treats into work, usually its in the form of a cupcake, but today I was feeling frisky and wanted to bring something special in for Friday.  People usually like to bring donuts to work, I mean who doesn't like donuts? they go great with coffee and milk.  Usually I would buy the donuts from the nearest dunken and pick up a dozen.  

  Unfortunately in Misawa the closest place is Mister Donut, same thing like duken here in Japan. very tasty but its about 25 minutes away.  Way too far to get some donuts and the ones they sell on base at the shoppette are terrible.  That is why I decided to make homemade donuts, and even better their not fried, which means they're healthier and you can at least have two without feeling guilty ;)  oh and because of Halloween they have these pumpkin spice Hersey kisses at the store (amazing!) and I used those delicious kisses to make an wonderful pumpkin spice glaze on the donuts.


Baked Donuts
Adapted from Food.com
Yields: 18 donuts using a donut pan.
Ingredients
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter (soften)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup Almond milk (or regular milk)

Pumpkin Spice Glaze

1 1/2 cup unwrapped Hersey Pumpkin Spice Kisses
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar

Vanilla Bean Glaze

1/3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean
4 tablespoons hot water

Dark Chocolate Glaze

use the remaining vanilla bean glaze and add 4 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate

Directions
- preheat the oven for 350 degrees
- Mix the soften butter and sugar together in a large bowl
- add the eggs and mix until blended
- in a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: flour, baking powdered, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together
- Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl and blend with the wet mixture
- Add the milk to the batter, the dough should start getting thick and sticky 
- Using a donut pan, Spoon the batter into a pipping bag, snip a hole in the bottom and pipe the batter into each individual donut mold about half way full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

Directions for the Glazes

Pumpkin Spice Glaze
- add the kisses and butter to a small glass bowl and microwave for about 30 -60 seconds, make sure to not burn the chocolate.
- add the powdered sugar to the melted butter/kisses and mix well
- add about 3 tablespoons hot water to the mixture and mix until the sugar is dissolved
- dip you cooled donuts half way into the glaze, remove and set on a wire rack, once the glaze starts to hardened dip a second time to add a thicker layer
- sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles


Vanilla Bean Glaze

- Melt the butter in the microwave
- Add powdered sugar and mix well
- add your vanilla extract and vanilla bean (cut lengthwise and scrape out the insides)
- Add your hot water and mix well
- dip your donuts into the glaze and place on a wire rack, dip a second time after the first glaze has hardened if you would like a thicker glaze.

Dark Chocolate Glaze ( I only used the vanilla bean glaze for about 6 donuts and made my chocolate glaze with the remaining left over vanilla glaze)

- Using the left over vanilla bean glaze add chocolate and microwave for about 45 seconds and mix well. dip you donuts half way into the glaze and set on a wire rack. 





32 comments:

  1. These are beautiful Donuts, You made it like it is from a donuts shop. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Swathi here, they look too good but the healthy part is missing in store bought dough nuts. Your pumpkin spice glaze reminds me that we are heading towards fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks u, yeah fall flavors are so fun to bake with.

      Delete
  3. yummmmmmm, I love donuts!!! And these look darn tasty ... gonna have to try this recipe out real soon!!! =))

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, your donuts look fantastic! Especially that pumpkin glaze one... You have some lucky, lucky co-workers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, the pumpkin glaze was pretty yummy, so are the Hersey Kisses by themselves :)

      Delete
  5. YUMMY! I love pumpkin & would love to try the pumpkin glaze one. They look so tempting! A lovely treat that reminds me of the lovely autumn season! Have a wonderful weekend , Neshanne! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fall/autumn season is my favorite so many wonderful flavors to bake with, thanks Kit for the lovely comment :)

      Delete
  6. They look perfectly round and yummy! Sometimes there´s nothing like homemade treats, so much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your absolutely right homemade is always better, made with love ;)

      Delete
  7. Hi Neshanne,

    These are perfect donuts! Really nice job! Best Regards

    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum yum.. yum yum yum... and yum.

    All six of those donuts should sit in my stomach right now!

    Looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Love pumpkin donuts, and that hershey's kiss glaze is kind of brilliant. You have some very lucky co-workers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willow, yeah I need to start charging my co-workers gettin expensive feeding them lol just kidding I need someone to test out my food besides the hubby.

      Delete
  10. But how long do you cook them???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh geez my bad, thank you for saying something I have it updated now, thanks again.

      Delete
  11. Spectacular, Neshanne! All these versions of your donuts look absolutely mouth-watering delicious ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look gorgeous! I always bake my doughnuts... I prefer them and I don't feel too guilty :D. I've only tried cinnamon dipped ones so far, but I'll have to try a glazed version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do feel better about eating baked instead of fried :)

      Delete
  13. I love baked donuts and these are just gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ, i wish i had a donut to go with my coffee today :)

      Delete
  14. These are so impressive. I've never tried a baked donut, but now I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohh I hope you try, they are pretty easy to make and you don't have to worry about wasting a lot of oil.

      Delete
  15. Oh stop it! Give me some. Puh leeze! I haven't had homemade donuts in ages :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to pamper yourself and whip up a batch and save em all for you :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...