I've been dying to make these cupcakes since the girl scouts at Misawa Air Base started selling them a few weeks ago. I already made my dulce de leche sauce for my carmel component and I have the best chocolate cake recipe for the cake portion.
Many thanks to one of my friends and his wife for sharing his moms chocolate cake recipe. Which is one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever baked, I received the blessing from him today in order to share it on my blog. the way I came to have his moms recipe was his wife messaged me asking if I would make him a cake for his 23rd birthday since she wouldn't be able to be here in Japan to celebrate and I said of course I'll make him a cake. So she sent me his moms recipe because its his favorite and we came up with the brillant idea of also incorporated cheesecake into the birthday cake since it was his other favorite flavor. So I'll be sharing a chocolate cake cheesecake soon. but for now lets just drool and savor these samoa girl scout cupcakes.
Samoa Girl Scout Cupcakes
Oishii Treats original creation and
a friends family recipe adapted slightly.
Yields: 24-26 cupcakes
Ingredients for the Chocolate Cupcake
1 cup Milk + 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and insert paper liners into your cupcake pans
- Make your sour milk: In a separate bowl add your milk and vinegar and set aside while you make the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix together with a whisk.
- In a small mixing bowl add your cocoa powder and boiling water and whisk until the cocoa powder is nice and smooth, let it cool down for about 6-8 minutes.
- add your cocoa mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk together, add the milk, oil and eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
- Fill your cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
*You can either used store bought carmel or dulce de leche or you can make your own the night before with this simple and easy recipe. Crockpot Dulce De Leche
Dulce De Leche filling
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons dulce de leche
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened might be best cause the dulce is sweet, but you can use sweetened coconut as well)
- Create a whole in the middle of your cupcake
- Combine the ingredients together in a small bowl and fill the cupcake wholes with the filling
Dulce De Leche Buttercream
1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup dulce de leche
4-6 tablespoons milk
- Whip the butter in a electric mixer until light and fluffy. 6-8 minutes on high speed
- add your powder sugar 1/4 cup at a time until fully incorporated
- add in the dulce de leche and 4 tablespoons milk and whip for 3-4 minutes. (add more milk to get your desired consistency)
- Top your cupcakes with buttercream, toasted coconut and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
I link up to these fun linky parties