The inspiration for these donuts became an idea when I was so unjustly deprived of donuts on a Sunday morning......Flashback sequence now......We woke up early Sunday morning because we went to bed around 9pm on a saturday (what can I say we are a pretty boring couple sometimes). Anyways since we went to bed early last night and woke up early in the morning we thought we would go and catcht a matinee playing at the Japanese mall, figured we could buy some coffee inside the mall and go to Mister Donut and sneak them into the theater for our breakfast. As we arrive at the mall everything was closed until 9am (expect the movie), so sad to say I never got to sneak some donuts into the movie and since I had to make a dessert for a bake sale going on Monday I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and make some donuts for my contribution and one for myself (birthday gift to me :)
Chocolate Chip Baked Donuts
Adapted from Food.com
1/2 cup butter + 2 tablespoons, at room temp
1 cup sugar
3 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 cup your favorite chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl combined your dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder and whisk together, set aside.
- In a electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 4 minutes.
- Add in your eggs one at a time until completely combined and add your vanilla extract.
- Mix in your dry ingredients with the milk in alternate batches starting with flour and ending with milk, the dough will start to become thick and sticky.
- Once the batter is fully combined, fold in your chocolate chips.
- Using a pipping bag fill it with your batter and cut a large enough hole at the end to let chocolate chips easily pass through, fill each individual donut mold about 3/4 full and bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and using a butter knife go around the edges of the donut to help you lift it gently out of the pan and cool on a wire rack.
Dark Chocolate Glaze
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips like Ghiraradeli
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons hot water
- In a medium bowl, melt your butter and chocolate chips together in the microwave at 30 second intervals until melted.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar, the mixture will get really thick to help thin it out add 2 tablespoons hot water and whisk until the glaze becomes smooth. If still having trouble place it in the microwave for another 15 seconds and whisk until smooth.
- Dip your donuts in and place on a wire rack, keep whisking the glaze together after each dip so the donut will always get a nice smooth consistency on top.